Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 20:36:25 -0500

> I had a few reservations about it, but the outward inefficiency of
> calling all capf functions each time we issue a backend command
> shouldn't be slow enough to notice in practice, and the Emacs 24
> requirement can be taken care of by checking the version at load time.

I'll trust your judgment on those issues.  But if there are performance
problems with having company-capf in company-backends, it would be very
useful to know it, so please add it by default, so we can fix those
problems (presumably in the respective completion-at-point-functions)
rather than avoid them.

> By the way, do you think `lisp-completion-at-point' now has feature
> parity with `company-elisp'?

In Emacs-24.4 it should, yes.

> We could replace the latter with `company-capf' depending on the Emacs
> version, but I'm not sure where to make the cutoff.  If it's just Emacs
> 24, the users of 24.1-24.3 will miss out on features. If it's 24.4,
> CFEngine completion integration with Company won't work with
> earlier versions.

AFAIK cfengine's completion support didn't exist before 24.4, so there's
no problem there.

        Stefan