Re: trunk r115773: Port xcrun configuration to GNU/Linux.

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: trunk r115773: Port xcrun configuration to GNU/Linux.
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 13:08:56 +0100

Hello.

29 dec 2013 kl. 22:16 skrev Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:

>> From: Jan Djärv <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 22:04:02 +0100
>> Cc: emacs-devel <address@hidden>

>>> The solution might be to use relative file names.
>>
>> It would not help here, the trees are urelated.
>> I.e. the relative path would also have a space in it, something like:
>>
>> ../../../../Volumes/Macintosh HD/...
>
> How about stuffing the file name into an environment variable, and
> using that in configure?

Good try, but no.  I think this is impossible without modifying configure
variables, i.e. ac_compile.

ac_compile is:

  ac_compile='$CC -c $CFLAGS $CPPFLAGS conftest.$ac_ext >&5'

As said, it is used like this:

  (eval "$ac_compile") 2>conftest.err

Eval first expands the variables, and then word splits on whitespace,
regardless of quoting characters.
So there is no way to put something in CPPFLAGS with a whitespace that eval
wont word-split on that whitespace.
This is a fundamental limitation in autoconf.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I can't see any way to do it, except
modifying ac_compile.

        Jan D.