Re: Prefer Mercurial instead of git

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Prefer Mercurial instead of git
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 18:23:19 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 20:30:04 +0100
>
> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [snip]
>
> > I don't hate git that much anymore. I merely think now that it has an
> > awful UI, and I'm hardly alone in this opinion.
>
> The UI issue is a red herring. You can work with Git from Emacs without
> ever seeing git's UI, except perhaps for cloning the remote repo.

Not entirely a red herring, because the Emacs front-ends only support
a small fraction of the available commands.  A cursory look into
vc-git.el indicates that it uses about 10% to 20% of the git
commands.  Magit does better: 1/4th tgo 1/3rd, but still most of the
commands are not supported.

Granted, what the front-ends support are the most important and
frequently used commands.  But the rest are still useful and need to
be used from time to time, especially since they allow to do so much.
Which means that one still needs to learn and understand the CLI
syntax and the myriad of the options.