Re: Apologia for bzr

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Apologia for bzr
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 15:56:45 -0500

Richard Stallman <address@hidden>:
> In regard to windows, buffers and frames, we could have a mode of
> operation which ties each buffer to a one-window frame.  That would
> eliminate a lot of complexity.
>
> We could even offer that as the mode of use for beginners, if that
> would make it easier for a new generation of hackers to become Emacs
> users.  I don't know whether it WOULD have that effect, but if it
> would, I think it is a good idea.

I'm somewhat doubtful this would be well-directed effort.  In my
experience, he complexity that beginners react badly to is not
multi-window/multi-buffer, it's 1,001 spiky keystroke sequences.

> Do beginners typically run Emacs under a graphical window system?

Yes.  It's actually pretty rare for even old-school types to run
emacs in a hard or soft terminal these days; normally it is launched
from a window system.