Re: Automatically marking conflicts are resolved

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Automatically marking conflicts are resolved
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 09:33:19 +0100

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> On the compile/test phase it is useful to know which problems comes from
>>> the automatic merge and which ones comes from the areas you edited while
>>> resolving the conflicts.
>>
>> The commit message proposed by Git lists the merge conflicts.  While the
>> committer may remove this list, it is usually a good idea to keep it,
>> for exactly that reason.
>
> That's not enough and too late. I wont commit the merge without testing
> it first and meanwhile a clear separation of conflicted areas is useful.

Uh, why would that be too late?  Before committing the merge, git diff
lists all merge conflicts.  After committing the merge, the information
is in the commit message.  The commit can still be amended.

Whether or not you choose to commit first, test later (after all, a
commit is not the same as an upstream push and can always be amended) or
test first, commit later, the information is readily available.

--
David Kastrup