Re: Emacs terminology (not again!?) [was: Apologia for bzr]

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs terminology (not again!?) [was: Apologia for bzr]
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 20:17:57 +0100

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 8:06 PM, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:

The right takeaway for a new user is that learning Emacs is
learning something new and different - it is not your momma's
editor.  And it rightfully has its own terminology, which you
had better learn also.

Did not someone say it was his momma's editor? ;-)
I think you are taking your points too far. For me the problem is how to make a good road into Emacs for new users. I want a feeling like "this is what I am used to and now I am glad I discovered the new possibilities". It should be both familiar and new at the same time.

The Greek philosopher Proclus records that when Ptolemy asked
if there wasn't perhaps an easier way to learn Emacs than Emacs,
Euclid replied, "Sire, there is no royal road to Emacs."

There might be some translation error or misunderstanding there. ;-)