Re: Emacs terminology (not again!?) [was: Apologia for bzr]

From: Per Starbäck
Subject: Re: Emacs terminology (not again!?) [was: Apologia for bzr]
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 16:21:17 +0100

2014/1/9 Drew Adams <address@hidden>
> users can get the impression that Emacs is not for them because it's weird.
> If they in just the first half hour of using Emacs meet several such things
> they may conclude that working with Emacs will continue to be like this;
> now and then it will turn out that it doesn't work as "expected" and that
> there are new names for everything, etc.  Why not use That Other Editor
> that some other people suggested instead?

Why not, indeed?  Problem solved.

Then you are talking about another problem than I am. Functionality (and attitudes) that turn away those people is indeed a problem for Emacs. It is sometimes direct, but often indirect (they don't even try Emacs because a distro maintainer thought that it shouldn't be installed by default). We want those users. Especially the part of them that would have become developers.

(And _you_ are not using That Other Editor why?  Did you perhaps spend
more than 1/2 hour learning This Old Editor?)

This seems irrelevant to me. What is your point?