Re: preferring mercurial

From: Barry Warsaw
Subject: Re: preferring mercurial
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 15:28:46 -0500

On Jan 09, 2014, at 07:35 AM, Neal Becker wrote:

>I don't understand the git momentum.  I've use hg heavily, and am generally
>happy with it.
>
>Every time I have to use git, I have a terrible time.  I find it vastly more
>complicated than hg.  The docs (in the form of man pages) I find never answer
>my questions.  Each one seems to cover 100 different topics, variations and
>corner cases.  Trying to read this requires a vast new vocabulary or arcane
>terms.

I agree in terms of git's --help docs.  Here's a not-a-metric:

% git merge --help | wc -l
630
% bzr merge --help | wc -l
116
% hg merge --help | wc -l
35

Is it possible to be *too* helpful? :)

I highly recommend O'Reilly's book on git by Loeliger and McCullough (2nd
edition).  It has the clearest explanation of git's model that I've seen, with
nice pictures for emphasis.  As a bzr > hg > git > svn > cvs > rcs fan, I
wouldn't say the book has made me love git, but it has certainly helped me
make peace with it, to paraphrase a different post in this thread.

-Barry