Is the repo mirroring restoring dead tags?

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Is the repo mirroring restoring dead tags?
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 19:37:44 -0500 (EST)

Andreas, I just did a pull of the git mirror and all the tags I had
deleted and renamed came back to life.

The deletion script I use is this:

git tag -d $1
git push origin :$1

so I'm not just deleting them locally. Could your mirroring script
be having an unexpected side effect?

You [should] not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will
convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it
would do and the harm it would cause if improperly administered
        -- Lyndon Johnson, former President of the U.S.