Witness computation - minor breakage in the build system

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Witness computation - minor breakage in the build system
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 23:37:35 -0500 (EST)

Is any particular person responsible for the build system?

While working on one of my to-do items I found an apparent bug
in Makefile.in.  The src production tries to compute the location
of a "witness" file with modtime taken as the time of most recent
repository change.

The computation is wrong, however, and fails - leaving VCSWITNESS
empty.  This has escaped notice because the effect is subtle:
re-dumping may not always be forced when it should be after a
repository update.  To see that this true, add code just before
the make invocation on line 384 to dump $vcswitness.  Don't forget
to double the $.

I stumbled over this because part of my transition plan is to get
the code to a state where it can do a full build (with proper revision
ID amd conditional dumping) regardless of whether the underlying
repo is Bazaar or Git.

I could patch-fix this.  But I think the fixed Makefile code would
remain unpleasantly fragile, and the witness-path computation is
best moved to the configure stage.

Comments? Objections? Is anyone else willing to take respomsibility
for this?

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is
a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
        -- Benjamin Franklin