Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116038: On VCS-independent ways of identifying

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116038: On VCS-independent ways of identifying commits, and why they are desirable.
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 11:23:53 -0500

David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> > Wow.  That's a record; I've never actually seen more than three
> > transitions before.  I will correct.
>
> Emacs is at the forefront of everything.

Or hindfront, or something.  RCS.  That's...impressive.

Most of the venerably ancient project histories I've converted only
have the following geological strata

1. Subversion
2. Random crap generated by cvs2svn
3. CVS

Layer 2 is the nasty one.  Those conversion artifacts tend to trip up
Subversion-to-anything converters, especially git-svn. I originally
wrote reposurgeon to have a way to clean those up.

What I've never seen before is a plain RCS layer visible below the CVS
(now that I've been clued in some things in older ChangeLogs make sense.) I
guess that's because there just aren't that many projects old enough to
predate CVS.  Only three out of over forty of mine are.

/me wouldn't be surprised to stumble over a fossil trilobite next.