Re: Is intellisense features integration in Emacs technically possible?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Is intellisense features integration in Emacs technically possible?
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 16:26:49 +0900

I apologize for responding to DAK's post but I lost Óscar's.

 > Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:
 >
 > > Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
 > >
 > >> The Emacs display engine is many tens of thousands of C code plus many
 > >> thousands of Lisp.
 > >
 > > AFAIU this is largely a consequence of the development baggage of Emacs.
 > > That is, the complexity of the current code base is far greater than the
 > > complexity of its purpose.

It could surely be a lot smaller if it were restricted to a single
multiplatform toolkit such as wxWindows.  However, users seem to
prefer platform-specific code, leading to a lot of duplication.  It's
not clear to me that's bad, given that both user preference and
developer skills are often very platform-specific.

By comparison, it's hard to say exactly (depends on what you mean by
"display"), but XEmacs's display engine is about 3.5KLOC of C code, of
which less than 1.5KLOC are in the platform-independent parts.