Re: Is intellisense features integration in Emacs technically possible?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Is intellisense features integration in Emacs technically possible?
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 10:12:44 -0500

>> It's mainly a common interface for such external programs so that we
>> can add more languages more easily. The current effort of unifying the
>> completion interface as well as supporting company mode as a front-end
>> is going a great deal forward in that.
> I'm not convinced that a single interface would work; again, using
> clojure as example, this has moved away from a single interface in Emacs
> (i.e. slime/swank) and toward a single interface for Clojure (so that
> the Clojure side offers a single server, for different editors).

He's not advocating a common interface for all languages at the level
where Emacs interacts with the external process.  He's only advocating
a common interface at the Elisp level so that the major mode only needs
to adapt this interface to the underlying external process's own
interface (or to the Elisp code that does the parsing if it's
implemented in Elisp).

        Stefan