Re: Patches with independent changes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Patches with independent changes
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 23:39:40 +0200

> Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 08:43:19 -0800
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> [retitling from "Changes in update-game-score.c"]

[Why?]

> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > chmod is documented to be able to return both negative and positive values
>
> Really?  Where is it documented to do that?

I could have sworn that I saw it on MSDN, but I cannot find it now, so
apologies about that part.

> Even if you're correct, which I doubt, trunk bzr 116116 would still be
> an example of what you're calling a "sumo" patch -- a patch containing
> multiple independent changes. One change addresses WINDOWSNT's lack of
> fchmod. Another addresses the perhaps-hypothetical issue that chmod can
> return positive values.

No, they both address the fact that fchmod is not available on
Windows.  One without the other would break the build on Windows.
That I used < rather than != is immaterial, because both are correct
in this case.