Re: Goals for repo conversion day

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Goals for repo conversion day
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 10:07:52 +0100

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> Ulrich Mueller <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> So, this will take care of deleted files. However, I wonder how
>> renaming of files was handled in pre-CVS times? My guess would be that
>> the RCS file would have been renamed.
>
> Good point.
>
>> How could one find out if and when this happened?
>
> Only from the ChangeLog.  Especially the files in src/m were frequently
> renamed.

This is getting silly.  When "renaming" files in either RCS _or_ CVS,
_either_ the file history _or_ the directory state (meaning that an
older checkout did no longer compile because files appeared under their
new name) was _lost_.  Why should we _now_ try rewriting distant history
that was good enough when it was still young?

--
David Kastrup