Re: Debugging low level problems with Valgrind

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: Debugging low level problems with Valgrind
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 20:54:49 +0000

address@hidden writes:

>> From: Alex Bennée <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 15:44:05 +0000
>> Cc: Alex Bennée <address@hidden>,
>>      emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>>
>> Sadly although I could get temacs to start I couldn't get a working
>> --daemon process needed to trigger the failure.
>
> What prevented you from getting a daemon with temacs?  Please report
> the details.

There isn't much reported by emacs apart from the rather terse:

Finding pointers to doc strings...
Finding pointers to doc strings...done
Pure-hashed: 23631 strings, 3428 vectors, 37030 conses, 3224 bytecodes, 82
others
Warning: Cannot convert string
"-*-courier-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*" to type FontStruct
Error: server did not start correctly

> Also, do you really need a deamonized Emacs to reproduce the problem?
> AFAICS, it happens when you delete the last frame from a display,
> which can be done in a "normal" Emacs session.

In the set-up I'm running on (ChromeOS) I can only have one X frame at a
time. --daemon mode is the only way I know of to keep a running Emacs
and create and delete X frames to trigger this crash (it doesn't happen
every time).

How would I start Emacs with a terminal session from which I could
create X frames? I tried "emacs -nw" but when I execute (new-frame) it
only brings up a new tty frame.

--
Alex Bennée