Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 13:51:21 -0800

On 02/28/2014 07:08 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 02:10:50 -0800
>> From: Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>>> Any feature that requires per-keystroke reparsing of the entire
>>> compilation unit to work is not feasible in an editing workflow.  That
>>> kind of thing is ok for code browsing, not for writing.
>>
>> http://pdf.aminer.org/000/542/897/incremental_analysis_of_real_programming_languages.pdf
>
> Not sure what is the point you wanted to make with this (old)
> article.  Can you clarify?

I'm trying to debunk the argument that the features we're talking about
require per-keystroke reparsing of the entire compilation unit. There's
a pretty decent literature in incremental parsing algorithms that might
be efficient enough to make online updating of syntax trees viable.

There's also an existence proof called "Visual Studio" that shows that
it's possible to efficiently implement these features.