Re: Progress on the git repo cleanup

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Progress on the git repo cleanup
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 15:49:50 -0500

David Reitter <address@hidden>:
> What is the procedure for those of us that keep a separate branch
> around, which has multiple (50+) merges from the mainline or Emacs
> 23, and many private changes?

The first question you need to settle is whether you need to keep the
change comments for your branch.  If not, the procedure is very simple:

1. New repo is put up.

2. You pull it.

3. You start a new branch.

4. You rm -fr and copy in your version.

5. You commit and push it, creating a new branch in the master repo.

If you need to keep the change comments, Andreas has a more complicated
procedure in mind which I will help him set up.