Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 11:13:50 -0400

     > This discussion is a response to your fallacious call for people to
     > deny us credit for our work.

    Richard, I did no such thing.  I called for you to give the same
    credit to others you demand for yourself.

Six of one, and half dozen of the other.  You made a point as part of
a larger argument, and http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#many
responds to both.

    But that justification is misdirected, given that the GNU Project with
    an uppercase "P" does almost no development.

The GNU Project does development in the same way it always did, by
recruiting volunteers to work on projects.  But it is a tangent
anyway.  Whether these volunteers are loyal to our ideals or to GNU
itself is a tangent too.  I won't try to address all the tangents and
spin you brought up.

People have made a thousand versions of GNU/Linux, because it is free
software.  The GNU Project is the main developer of the system as a
whole; what we did in the 1980s, alone, is enough to make that true.
GNU contributed more to the system than any other one project.

Arguing about this is outside the purpose of this list.
We have a list for such discussion: gnu-misc-discuss.
Please take it there, and stop raising it here.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation