Re: Emacs pretest -- electric-pair-mode change

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs pretest -- electric-pair-mode change
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 15:15:07 +0300

address@hidden (João Távora) writes:

> This last behaviour is also arguable but it is "way too clever", almost
> buggy. The trunk's behaviour is better: it always inhibits pairing, the
> surprising electric action, whenever there is unbalance, and as such is
> more predictable.

I don't see what can be "too clever" about it. It's either buggy, or just
sloppy (as in: electric-pair-mode isn't aware of that specific case).

>>> Anyway I've haven't gotten little feedback for this feature, negative or
>>> positive.

I'm using it. I like it, and I've filed just one bug for it as of yet.

>> `electric-pair-mode' (even the old one) is not a commonly used option,
>> IIUC.  This is largely because it's not enabled by default, many people
>> don't like/want such a feature, and those who do want it have many ways
>> to get it, many of which predate electric-pair-mode.

Since it's not commonly used, yet, any possible breakage introduced with
this change would also be less of a problem.

> But both being predictable, these users these packages are less likely
> to switch or even try electric-pair-mode if it feels alien or hard to
> predict, which IMO was *exactly* the problem with the "old"
> electric-pair-mode.

+1