Re: GC and stack marking

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: GC and stack marking
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 05:43:46 +0300

> Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 16:49:22 -0400
> From: Barry OReilly <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Even if we're only talking about the stack variables in the frames that are
> active during your particular problematic case (and perhaps in the idle
> Emacs GC case)?

I thought you were asking about having the compiler generate the code
to do that, which would then happen everywhere.

If you propose doing that selectively, I don't know how this would be
possible, since on the C level you don't have a way of telling how
much stack is allocated in a given function.

> Have you already ruled out whether stack_top_variable contributes one of
> the bytes in your false positive lookup in the mem_node tree?

Yes.  I looked at all the local variables in that stack frame, and
their addresses on the stack are different from the one that triggers
the problem.