Re: trunk r116426: * lisp/jit-lock.el (jit-lock-mode): Keep it disabled

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: trunk r116426: * lisp/jit-lock.el (jit-lock-mode): Keep it disabled in indirect buffers.
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 10:35:11 -0400

> If the patch that you propose is ever implemented, local hooks will
> still be run in current buffer, right?

No, my intention is to only run the hooks in the base buffer.  It would
then be the responsability of some other package (e.g. polymode) to add
a function to the base-buffer hook to also run the hook in those
indirect buffers that need it.

> Coming back to the original jit-lock problem. I still have no clue how
> to fix it without copying the whole initialization part of jit-lock into
> polymode.

Enable font-lock in the base buffer (and only there) using polymode's
font-lock rules (which will dispatch to the appropriate indirect buffer).

>> So when jit-lock is triggered it has to refontify in all buffers that
>> share the same base buffer.  And if font-lock is activated in several
>> buffers which share the same base buffer, they'll fight over their
>> shared `face' text-property.
> I have just tried this in emacs 24.3.1 and font-lock is triggered only
> once in indirect buffers.

Yes: "has to" is a requirement that was never fulfilled.

> This patch doesn't affect cloning and jit-lock is still active in cloned
> indirect buffers.

Right, that's arguably a bug as well.  Not sure how important it is to
fix it.

        Stefan