Re: missing quote in define-package arg

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: missing quote in define-package arg
Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 09:53:26 +0200

() Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
() Sat, 24 May 2014 22:57:56 +0300

   Since -pkg.el files are not evaluated anymore in the latest version
   of package.el, there's no syntax error.

Thanks for clarifying.  To me, the key word here is "anymore", which
hints that there is some (internal) design skew, a signal that other
bugs / incompatibilities might be latent.

   The only reason we see the warning is that the byte-compiler treats
   the form contained in the file as a function application, whereas
   essentially it's just data now.

Yes.  It is "just" data now, though tantalizingly dressed in executable
(function application) form.  So really, if the goal is to rid ourselves
of this temptation (so as to be able to focus on others :-D), would it
be correct to say that another option is to avoid generating that file
in the first place?  Hmm, i wonder how we got to this state -- time to
go read the ChangeLog files...

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502