Re: bookmarks

From: J. David Boyd
Subject: Re: bookmarks
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 08:57:24 -0400

Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (J. David Boyd) writes:
>>Did something change in the bookmark code?
>>When I load up 24.4.50, my bookmarks are all screwy.
>
> Hmm, nothing should have changed to cause that.  Can you post some more
> details?  Also, please save a copy of your ~/.emacs.bmk file (if it
> doesn't have anything private in it) and post that if you could.
>
> I assume you're talking about the bookmarks buffer created from
> `list-bookmarks'.  In 24.4.50.2 built today, my bookmarks look fine, so
> I'll need your help to reproduce this.
>
> Best,
> -Karl

Ok, I've attached my bookmark file at the end of this message, if I did it
correctly.

What is happening is that the left side, the titles of the bookmarks, looks
the same in either version of emacs, whether 24.3.1, or 24.4.50.1.

But the right hand side, the pointers to the actual file locations, is wrong.

In 24.3.1, buffer looks like

% Bookmark
- --------
  (bash) Bash Conditional Expr   /usr/share/info/bash
  (org) Clocking work time       /usr/local/share/info/org
  (org) Javascript support       /usr/local/share/info/org
  Emacs                          ~/org/reference.org
  custom.el                      ~/.emacs.d/custom.el
  emacs-init.org                 ~/.emacs.d/emacs-init.org
  init.el                        ~/.emacs.d/init.el
  org git source                 ~/.vendors/org
  org home dir                   ~/org/
  org-capture-last-stored-mark   ~/org/todo.org
  org-crypt.el                   ~/.vendors/org/lisp/org-crypt.el
  org-mobile.el                  ~/.vendors/org/lisp/org-mobile.el
  org-mode.org                   ~/.vendors/samples/org-mode.org

When I look at it in 24.4.50, it looks like

% Bookmark
- --------
  (bash) Bash Conditional Expr   /usr/share/info/bash
  (org) Clocking work time       /usr/share/info/bash
  (org) Javascript support       /usr/share/info/bash
  Emacs                          /usr/local/share/info/org
  custom.el                      /usr/local/share/info/org
  emacs-init.org                 ~/org/reference.org
  init.el                        ~/.emacs.d/custom.el
  org git source                 ~/.emacs.d/emacs-init.org
  org home dir                   ~/.emacs.d/init.el
  org-capture-last-stored-mark   ~/.vendors/org
  org-crypt.el                   ~/org/
  org-mobile.el                  ~/org/todo.org
  org-mode.org                   ~/.vendors/org/lisp/org-crypt.el

It's like it gets confused somewhere, and loops around a few entries...

This happens to me on emacs 24.3 and 24.4.50 running under Cygwin, and running
under Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS.  At first I just thought it was a Cygwin bug, but
then was able to replicate it on Ubuntu.

Thanks,

Dave in New Port Richey, FL