"git pull -r" to avoid merge commits

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: "git pull -r" to avoid merge commits
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 15:22:26 +0200

In the ELPA repo, i see "Merge branch 'master' of git+ssh://...",
which are merge commits IIUC.  I suspect this event confused the
admin scripts and so prevented the (recently released) xpm 1.0.2
From auto-generating a post to info-gnu-emacs.  Is that correct?

On the contributor side, i regularly use "git pull -r" because i
believe doing so avoids creating merge commits.  (This is based
on git-push(1) section "NOTE ABOUT FAST-FORWARDS", primarily.)
Am i missing something?  Is there a better way to avoid merge
commits?  Is there a better way to ensure announcement trigger?

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502