Re: Sending multiple patches

From: Michal Nazarewicz
Subject: Re: Sending multiple patches
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 20:33:21 +0200

On Mon, Jun 02 2014, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
> But you can send a first message to address@hidden and then send
> threaded messages to the corresponding address@hidden address.

I'll do that then once I get the final version of the patches.

> - XML doesn't define "&nbsp;"?  Really?  So when is it defined?
>   I know very little about SG/XML, but I'd love to hear the full
>   story.

HTML defines a whole bunch of entities, full list at [2], including
nbsp.  XML, which formally has no relation to HTML (in the sense that
those are separate standards, one not referring to the other), defines
only a handful of entities listed at [1] (namely lt, gt, amp, apos and
quot meaning <, >, &, ' and " respectively).

On the other hand, XHTML 1.x, which is a format built on top of XML,
defines the same entities as HTML -- which is mentioned at [3] -- but
I have encountered problems with some browsers (no, I don't mean IE)
when &#nbsp; was used in an XHTML document.

As for SGML I don't know the full story to be honest.  I'm not really
sure what SGML *is*, but if I'm not mistaken, an SGML document in itself
does not define any entities, so technically a numeric reference should
probably be used for it as well.

I did not change the hard space character for SGML because of my
ignorance.  I'm not sure of use cases and what kind of documents people
edit with sgml-mode, so I decided to leave it as it.

The simplest would probably be to change the entity to numeric one even
in HTML, but I'm not sure if users would like it.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-predefined-ent
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/sgml/entities.html#h-24.2.1
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-A2

> - Rather than ("end-" 1), tildify-ignored-environments-alist should
>   probably just use "end-\\1" so it can just use `replace-match'.

Good idea.  Do you think it'd be acceptable to completely drop support
for “("end-" 1)” and change the meaning of strings to be processed by
`replace-mach'?  It would greatly simplify the code and I don't expect
many people customising `tildify-ignored-environments-alist' much, so
I would go for it myself.

--
Best regards,                                         _     _
.o. | Liege of Serenely Enlightened Majesty of      o' \,=./ `o