Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117286: Fix last commit.

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117286: Fix last commit.
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 11:30:46 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I wish people could refrain from playing around with the
>static/extern declarations.
I didn't.  I just fixed something that was already there.

I think Stefan was referring to the practice of marking symbols as static if they're not used in other modules. Generally speaking this is good practice, as non-expert readers of the code needn't consider whether a static symbol might be used by another module. It can help GCC in the same way.

However, I take Stefan's point that the practice gets messy when dealing with functions that can be static on typical GNU/Linux builds but must be extern on other ports. So I installed trunk bzr 117290 to make these symbols extern. This gets rid of the mess, and I hope Stefan considers it simplification and not "playing around".