Re: ERC user mode support

From: Mario Lang
Subject: Re: ERC user mode support
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 18:33:05 +0200

Kelvin White <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm a long time user of irssi and an irc oper. I started using emacs about
> 3 years ago, but I couldn't use erc because it was lacking functionality in
> regards to supporting user modes beyond op and voice (+o, +v).

Excuse my ignorance please, but can you be a bit more details?  It is
years ago that I knew the IRC protocl by heart.  But I vaguely remember
that user-modes as well as channel-modes did not need any special client
side support?  /op is really just an alias for /mode nick +flag, IIRC.

> So, after googling the issue and finding nothing of real value, I
> decided to add it myself, and finally make the switch to erc. I have
> working code to add this feature, but I'm curious of any suggestions
> you may have. Is there any plans to add this feature in the future,
> and If so, what would be the requirements, and process of contributing
> to the project.

I don't see any reason to not add this, if special code is actually
required.  Since ERC is part of Emacs, the same contribution
requirements as with Emacs apply.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕