Re: The text-mode menu looks very broken in emacs-24

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: The text-mode menu looks very broken in emacs-24
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 21:44:25 +0300

> From: Mario Lang <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 20:29:24 +0200
>
> > About 1.5 months ago, you tried the menus with a patch I sent, and
> > said that it was "exactly what you was looking for".  Did menus work
> > OK then, but not now?
>
> Yes.  When I tested the cursor motion changes about 1 1/2 months ago, I
> didn't see any display glitches.  However, I tested trunk back then, and not
> emacs-24, to be exact.

Please try the trunk again.  The menus code is identical in both
branches.  Moreover, Dmitry reported bug 17497 for the trunk, not for
the release branch.  So I don't think this is the reason.

> > If so, what, if anything, has changed since then, in terms of your
> > system configuration, the way you build Emacs, or the terminal
> > emulation software you are using?
>
> Nothing, except that this time I tried emacs-24.  I noticed you reworked
> the patch just a few days ago, maybe that introduced the glitches?

No, the rework was intended to maybe solve the problems that were
reported before the changes I made.

> Note that the cursor is placed correctly at the beginning of the menu
> item, even if the menu item location is actually incorrect.

You mean, the cursor is at the menu item even when that menu item is
in the wrong position?  IOW, the cursor is also in the wrong position,
near the wrongly positioned menu item?

> So the cursor motion fix seems "fine", i.e., sync to the display
> glitches.

Writing the menu item involves moving the cursor to the menu item
location first, so if that movement gets the cursor to incorrect
position, it will probably do that  always.