Re: Emacs as WM

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Emacs as WM
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 15:21:56 +0000 (UTC)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz <at> gnu.org> writes:

> So I think users prefer Office because it has capabilities that Emacs
> doesn't, and not because its "point and click" interface is easier
> than that of Emacs.

On Windows people prefer office also because it looks and behaves as
any other application. So they prefer familiarity too and being
familiar is also a big part of simplicity and ease of use.

Emacs looks completely alien on Windows and its behavior is also
alien.

The most obvious example is copy/paste which is Ctrl-C/V on windows
while emacs uses something else.

There was a discussion about making Ctrl-C/V the default a while
ago, but it was rejected because it goes against emacs standards.
It does, but most users won't relearn basic keys just to use emacs
which has no obvious advantages for them which would be worth it.

WYSIWYG alone won't gain many new users while emacs stays so
different in other UI points.