Re: Non-ASCII chars in quail rules

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Non-ASCII chars in quail rules
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 17:59:45 -0400

On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 09:19:18 -0400 Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:
> > I am not sure what the intent here of the restriction was, but a
> > more general solution for the entire line of the test might be
> > CHAR_PRINTABLE_P depending on what that intent actually is. (I
> > don't entirely understand the intent, so I can't say.)
>
> The intent is to make sure that `c' is something we can insert in
> the buffer (since that's what quail does).

It would seem that CHAR_PRINTABLE_P is the right thing, then, since
other characters can't be inserted (at least not validly).

Given that, it would seem like this would be a nice patch to get
applied.

> We could also remove this check completely and allow using any
> event to trigger input-method-function, but that does break the
> current quail.el, so it's clearly more "backward incompatible".

Yah, that seems like The Wrong Thing.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden