Re: Benchmarking temporary Lisp objects [Was: Re: [RFC] temporary Lisp_S

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Benchmarking temporary Lisp objects [Was: Re: [RFC] temporary Lisp_Strings]
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 00:15:23 -0700

Dmitry Antipov wrote:
I'm voting for simpler and cleaner version with
alloca/fallback to regular GC for vectors and strings.

I like the idea of simpler and cleaner, but your patch's implementations of build_local_vector and build_local_string use alloca expressions as function arguments, and the GNU API for alloca doesn't support that. You can work around the problem by using statement expressions, falling back on plain Fmake_vector and/or make_string for compilers that don't support statement expressions.

To address Stefan's concern about alloca-allocated thingies escaping to Elisp, is there some way you can include a runtime test for that, when checking is enabled? It wouldn't have to catch every escapee, just a high percentage of them.