Re: tramp:sshx:(screen|tmux)

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: tramp:sshx:(screen|tmux)
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 11:06:53 -0400

Hi Michael,

> * Michael Albinus <address@hidden> [2014-09-10 15:55:53 +0200]:
> Sam Steingold <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I wonder if it is possible to add a "nohup/screen/tmux" method which
>> would create a remote screen/tmux session or reconnect to it if it
>> already exists.
>> The idea is that some interactions (e.g., an interactive R session) is
>> too expensive to restore after a crash caused by a disconnect.
>
> A while ago, I've played with mosh(*) as Tramp connection method. It
> is designed exactly for your case, supporting reconnection of lost
> sessions. I failed, because mosh is designed to draw on a screen,
> which is not what Tramp needs in a connection buffer.
>
> Your idea to reconnect to an existing screen / tmux session would
> suffer from the same problem I guess. At least I'm not aware how to
> support them in an Emacs buffer.

I am painfully aware of this problem :-(
This is way my code which I posted to the linked article on
StackOverflow passes "-c /dev/null" to screen and also runs it in emacs
terminal.

However, emacs is sufficiently heavy weight (socially) that you (as the
tramp maintainer) can ask the screen (and tmux and mosh) maintainers to
add the "-emacs" option which will disable all terminal drawing.

Thanks!

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1265
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://dhimmi.org http://mideasttruth.com