Re: Everyone, please stop making my life more difficult

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Everyone, please stop making my life more difficult
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 02:44:06 +0900

Sam Steingold writes:

 > I thought that rebase _moves_ commits, not _creates_ them anew.

It's easy to that this must be so.  The data of a commit, in all of
the DAG-based VCSes, not just git, contains the parent of that commit.
Rebase by definition changes the parent of at least one commit, and
therefore must create new a commit to store it.  I'm sure you can
handle the recursive proof for the descendants of that commit.

OTOH, rebase merely moves *trees*; those (and the blobs that they
point to in turn) are not rewritten.