Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 17:24:19 +0300

> From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:54:22 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > - machines still did get faster over the last 10 years (much less so
> >   than over the preceding 10 years, but also probably much more so than
> >   over the next 10 years).
>
> Well, Emacs is a text editor. The CPU demands of the task haven't
> increased that much over the last 10 years either.

You are wrong here.  Emacs 23 added many CPU-intensive features, like
visual-line-mode.  Emacs 24 added bidirectional display, which makes
redisplay need roughly twice as much juice as Emacs 23 needed.  And
these are only two examples that pop up in my head after a 3-sec
thought; I'm sure there are more.

So it's not like we use up every additional CPU cycle the chips are
giving us, but we are certainly using significantly more than we did
10 years ago.