Re: Adding packages to ELPA

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Adding packages to ELPA
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 17:50:50 +0300

> From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
> Cc: Stephen Leake <address@hidden>,  <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 08:53:35 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> This is obvious, so I must be misunderstanding what you are trying to
> >> say. Perhaps we have different definitions of "release"?
> >
> > What I meant is no one said you need to wait for an Emacs release to
> > release a package.  The Emacs repository is a public one, like the
> > ELPA repository.  So I don't see a difference, really.
>

> Unless I am misunderstanding what you mean by Emacs repo the difference
> is that the emacs repo has a developer front end (bzr or git) which ELPA
> has a user front end (package.el).

package.el is customizable wrt to where it looks for packages, so its
front end is not specific to ELPA.

If you mean that the Emacs repository lacks the HTTP front end such as
http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/ provides, then setting that up should be
easy.  However, I'm not holding my breath, given the unanimously
negative reaction to my suggestions.