Re: Overlay mechanic improvements

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Overlay mechanic improvements
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:11:43 -0400

    I must say I'm troubled by your questions and objections.  What is the
    problem with my proposal?  Are you afraid it will make Emacs worse?
    Or are you afraid it simply won't work?  Why do you care if we keep
    overlays in a tree instead of singly-linked lists?

We may be miscommunicating.  I think you're interpreting each thing I
say as an argument against reimplementing overlays, but I'm mostly
talking about other issues that came up in the discussion.

I must not have noticed the message that made a specific proposal for
how to reimplement overlays.  I'm concerned about code complexity and
bugs that might introduce, but I'm not necessarily against it.

Mostly I'm not talking about that.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation