Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 17:21:08 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 18:45:54 +0400
>> From: Dmitry Antipov <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> Why not just use ICU?
>
> Emacs needs to be able to extend the Unicode code-point space for raw
> 8-bit bytes and for a couple of character sets that are not unified.
> Can ICU support that?  If not, we cannot base our implementation on
> ICU without a lot of redesign.

Well, the context here was the integration of Emacs and GUILE, and it
would be optimistic to think that efficient string/buffer handling will
not leave us with a lot of redesign either way.

Matching GUILE and Emacs allows us to compare and integrate the best
approaches from either side.  With ICU, it will always be "take it or
leave it".  It may be good enough.  If it isn't in some small respect,
getting it changed or fixed is not under our control.

--
David Kastrup