Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 21:41:58 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

[snip]

> The issue here is mainly about the Texinfo source.  It doesn't make
> sense to switch to another language, exactly as it doesn't make sense
> to switch a C-based project to C++ or Java, when all the main
> developers don't work and aren't proficient in these languages.  It's
> a death blow to the project.

This is true when the new tool is difficult to master (as your C -> C++
example.) If the new tool has a similar learning curve than the old
tool, you must admit that the old tool is an incovenience for new
contributors in the same way that switching to the new tool is an
incovenience for the existing contributors.

Not that I'm advocating switching the documentation tool. IMHO there are
several things that we could improve to attract new hackers and ditching
texinfo is not one of then.

OTOH, what you say on other message about requiring documentation with
changes is an obvious improvement for the project, moreso if we offer
help on the process (formatting, as you say, but also grammar, etc.)
Requiring documentation might shy away some people, but overall the
Emacs development process would improve by shortening the release
cycles, IMHO.