RE: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 14:48:19 -0800 (PST)

> I don't think new users should have to learn info,

They do NOT "have to" learn it.

> but if you know it, there's nothing else like
> it as in terms of speed to navigate and keybindings.

Consider the user, new or not (but in particular, a newbie)
who has not learned or is not in the habit of *asking Emacs*
itself, and finds it "easier" to directly ask Stack Exchange
or help-gnu-emacs.

Level 1 help: Someone provides an answer.

Level 2 help: Someone provides an answer AND links to the
              pertinent Emacs or Elisp manual section on
              the web, so the user can (a) get a well
              thought out explanation and (b) learn more,
              starting from there.

Level 3 help: Level 2 help PLUS telling the user *how to
              ask Emacs* - how to consult the manual from
              Emacs and how to use `i' in it to find that
              information (and more) using the index.

No one *has to* learn Info to consult the manuals.

We do users a favor by teaching them that they can *ask
Emacs* (surprise!), and how to do that.

That door is not locked, and it is really very simple
to turn the doorknob.

You just need to know how to recognize the door.  There
is nothing difficult about finding information from the
manuals on the web.  That does not make web access or
HTML a substitute for Info.

This should be a no-brainer.