Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 13:35:18 +0100

Richard Stallman writes:
> I could consider Org mode as a way of formatting manuals if I saw
> documentation presenting Org mode _as_ a way to format manuals.

Org mode can be used to format whole manuals, but it has many other uses
and its user base is very diverse in how they apply Org to their
documents and workflows.  Documentation for specific workflows or uses
is usally initiated by Org users and , but none have been forthcoming for
formatting of manuals so far (it's been discussed briefly on the Org
mailing list a few times, though).  If you'd like me to, I could ask on
the Org mailing list if anybody would want to have a go at it.

> However, it would still have two big drawbacks as a candidate for GNU
> documentation.
>
> * It is a program.  What we need is a format.

Org has been a format for a while, just one that wasn't formally
defined.  However, that is being worked on by Nicolas Goaziou and the
next major release is intended to make the switch to a formally defined
format and a reference implementation in eLisp.  The draft version of
that specification is here:

http://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html

Feedback specifically directed at that definition should go to the Org
mailing list.

> * The program runs only in Emacs.

There are a small number of programs and web applications that support
or use the Org format (or approximations thereof) for various things.
With the format soon having a more formal definition this situation
should improve further one would hope.

> Texinfo is a format and you can use any editor to write that format.

That is true for Org as well.  You might lose some of the amenities that
Emacs delivers for easier navigation and editing shortcuts, but it is
quite possible to edit Org outside Emacs or even generate it
programmatically.

> I don't want to take a step back on either of these points.

You wouldn't need to, unless I misunderstood what you are after.

Regards,
Achim.