RE: Multi-line input

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Multi-line input
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 08:44:50 -0800 (PST)

>   Control J *is* a newline char.
>
> You know that, and I know that, but most users don't know that.

Which is why I said:

* "Make `C-j' self-inserting in more keymaps" - users will
  find it and use it.  (They already do so for search.)

* "Instead of treating that as an aberration or some secret
  incantation, we should (and we do, for the most part)
  simply make the Control J <=> newline relationship, and
  hence `C-q C-j' for insertion, known from the outset.

  Emacs users, like GNU/Linux users in general, should be
  aware of this, if they make explicit use of newline chars."

IOW, making `C-j' self-insert generally, pretty much
everywhere, and documenting it prominently, will take it
out of the closet.