Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 10:54:47 +0100

>   > > And also because the index-searching commands, without which you are
>   > > lost in a large manual, don't exist in the Web browsers out there.
>
>   > This is not at *all* hard to solve.  I have written HTML generators
>   > that produce index links myself in different contexts.
>
> With Texinfo, we specify which items to index in each node or place,
> with commands such as @cindex and @findex and @vindex.
>
> When you talking about "produce index links", what does that mean
> concretely?  What input in asciidoc would control the index?

There are

indexterm: ...

commands for this.  However, they somewhat defeat the basic principle
that AsciiDoc is supposed to be its own plain text output since the
indexing information is not relevant for reading the text.
Consequently, the documentation states that those commands only make
sense if you intend to create DocBook markup, namely go through further
processing (that might, through a2x, even be used for generating
"stripped" plain text).

--
David Kastrup