Re: Patch queue management systems

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Patch queue management systems
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 22:40:05 +0200

On 12/09/2014 07:20 PM, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

I can['t] even get a list of "all bugs with patches" from inside of Emacs.

Sure you can.  `C-u / patch' in debbugs-gnu.

Okay, thanks. Any reason why it includes closed bugs in the list? And could Debbugs be made to work snappier? 20000 is not much, on a database scale.

- A working integration server that gives an overview of whether each
   patch (or better: Git branch) compiles, passes tests, etc, which will
   be a good reminder for a contributor if they broke something, even
   before a reviewer is involved.

This can all be done by adding tags to bug reports in debbugs.

...I suppose. Note that integration server build status usually includes a status value (passed, failed, or errored before it had a chance to fail) and a url to the build info (where we can look at the log).

Do you intend to keep the patch submission workflow the same? I.e. free-form (inline or in an attachment with arbitrary name), instead of a Git branch somewhere. How would integration server pick up and apply such patches?

- Inline comments: hide the old ones as the discussion progresses, only
   show the ones still pertinent to the current changeset (though this
   part may be hard to integrate into Emacs either way). I was kinda
   hoping it might would serve as an alternative for debbugs comments.

That sounds nice, but 99% of patches in the bug tracker are small and
need only a couple passes or less before they can be applied.  So this
would give us no extra patch handling power in reality.

It increases visibility into the discussion. Even if we're only talking two passes, being able to see just the comments that apply to the latest proposed version is pretty nice.

Though of course, the smaller patches that don't need discussion would benefit more from being able to see that the build passes and instantly merge the contribution.