Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 13:07:18 +0100

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 12:52 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:
>

>>> It's also a disadvantage since it means that one simple text-based
>>> output format has to contain the full information relevant for all other
>>> output formats.  Which causes visual clutter not relevant for the
>>> text-based output format.
>>
>> But for HTML you add style sheets. So it is not really true that the
>> org format has to contain all the information.
>
> Style sheets contain formatting, not information.  Everything that a
> style sheet has to apply to individually needs to be marked with a
> corresponding div tag or similar individually.  So I stand by my
> statement that the Org format has to contain all the information.  It
> does not need to contain specifics about the formatting, such as the
> background color, or the fonts/markup for _every_ @file construct.  But
> it still needs to mark everything specifically for which a specific
> formatting, whether or not specified in a style sheet, is supposed to
> apply.

That is true of course, but it can be fixed. (You could add hidden
tags to the org format. I do not know how if that is possible now.
Adding some JSON tags could perhaps be an alternative.)

But the point I (and I believe others) are trying to make is that with
org-mode you can start simple. And it is still useful. And perhaps,
perhaps, org-format could be made to carry the needed information.
(Not sure about that, though!)