Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 18:20:12 +0100

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 5:36 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> My point is maybe a bit unclear. It matters a lot what search engine
>>> you have and how you feed it with information. In the small project I
>>> linked to I have had rather minimal success with Google CSE. So I
>>> switched to OpenSearchServer and there I can do a lot of things I just
>>> could imagine before. (This is just a small free time project, but
>>> still a bit important, perhaps.)
>>
>> I don't buy that.  It will have its best case scenario for stuff not
>> actually written/maintained in Texinfo (or something providing similar
>> information amounts) and consequently completely missing any useful
>> index.  With that starting point, a search engine is better than
>> nothing.  Against a reasonably well-maintained manual index, however: no
>> comparison.
>
> I don't understand your argument. What has the well-maintained manual
> index to do with the format the user sees? The index just does not
> disappear if you are using a web browser. Or, does it? ;-)

You were proposing to replace the Info search possibilities with a
search engine.  So it's up to you to explain what you mean.

As for the index not disappearing: it's not accessible from arbitrary
nodes since it is not even loaded into the browser unless you load the
"one big page HTML" and then _all_ navigation becomes cumbersome,
including but not limited to the index.

--
David Kastrup