Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 02:11:40 +0900

David Kastrup writes:

 > This discussion seems a bit surreal since
 >
 >     gnome-open info:emacs
 >
 > already opens a help browser on the Emacs documentation.

OK, but "info emacs" is shorter and works on all my platforms (none of
which have gnome-open installed, all of which have info in /usr/bin,
including the BSD-based ones -- exception of course is Windows, which
isn't "my" platform and I did have to explicitly install info there).

OTOH, neither "xdg-open info:emacs" nor "open info:emacs" do anything
useful.

Note that "info" doesn't need to be info in the future; it can be a
program that does the right thing with program names (ie, translating
them to URLs to hand to a browser).