Re: master c6f03ed: Fix a problem in url.el without GnuTLS

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: master c6f03ed: Fix a problem in url.el without GnuTLS
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 20:46:51 +0100

> But if we follow Stefan and stop worrying about the linearity of
> mainline, then just "git pull" followed by another push is enough,
> right?

Yes.

> Again, if we don't care about the mainline being linear, this
> spaghetti is nothing to worry about, right?  It's just a "normal" Git
> DAG, right?

Yes.

> What really worries me about all this is that I _know_ some of the
> more-or-less veteran contributors do have long-living branches, where
> they do all their work, and from where they merge to master before
> pushing.  For those people, using "pull --rebase" might be trouble
> waiting to happen at the most inopportune moment.

Indeed,... unless you can break them of the habit of merging master into
the feature branch before merging with master...?

If they always merge from the feature branch into master and then push,
they will be safe.  They can merge back from master after they have
successfully pushed master.

But the safest will always be not to worry about the linearity of the
mainline.