pr-gv-command's default and recommended software

From: Jordan Wilson
Subject: pr-gv-command's default and recommended software
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 17:49:10 +0000

The documentation of the variable "pr-gv-command" (the PS previewer) in
printing.el recommends GSview[1], which is under the Aladdin Free Public
License (a non-free license[2]). The variable also defaults to
"gsview32.exe" on MS-Windows.

I suggest on Windows this be changed to recommend and default to Evince
for Windows[3]. It can handle buffer previews perfectively well. The linked
Windows binary is, however, from 2011. I don't know if that's taken into
consideration.

>From what I've read, MacOS's default Preview.app can display PostScript
as well, so possibly that could do with becoming the default on OSX.

[1] http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/index.htm
[2] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#Aladdin
[3] https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evince/Downloads

--