Re: word-wrap and wrapping before window-width

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: word-wrap and wrapping before window-width
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 20:38:26 +0200

> From: Ivan Shmakov <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 17:55:33 +0000
>
>  > And Firefox does that too: it inhibits word wrap when horizontal
>  > scrolling is in effect.  It just doesn't unwrap what was already
>  > wrapped, that's all the difference.
>
>       Frankly, I’m not so sure of this interpretation.  Anyway, from
>       the user’s perspective, – is there a difference between
>       “not unwrapping” and “wrapping at an arbitrary column”?

This is emacs-devel, not help-gnu-emacs ;-)  So our perspective is
different.

>  > Yes, but Emacs has a harder job to do: the above model is problematic
>  > with bidirectional text when a single buffer has paragraphs of
>  > different directionality (which Firefox doesn't seem to support).
>
>       You mean, your install Firefox install doesn’t cope with, say,
>       the simplistic example document shown at [2]?
>
> [2]
> https://ru.wikibooks.org/wiki/HTML_в_профилях/Базовый_профиль#multilingual.html

No, I meant it cannot determine the base paragraph direction
automatically, as Unicode requires.

Also, its horizontal scrolling of mixed-directional paragraphs makes
it hard to read the stuff, because scrolling to the right makes RTL
text at the beginning of a line disappear.  Emacs does a much better
job in that respect.